OVERNIGHT TRAINING- Vest

DRT 

How to put the vest on in the morning: 

  • I prefer that you don't lower the vent arm. 
  • Put my feet on the box. 
  • Pull the vest machine out of the closet. 
  • Take the finger foam and vest out. Don't put them on yet. 
  • Take off my peg tube, metal clip and rice pad.  
  • Important, put the paper towel on my right shoulder on the roll pillow so it doesn't get lost behind my back. 
  • Put my feet on box because when you pull vest down, I always shimmy down. 
  • Important, the next few steps can be done on either side of the bed depending on how strong your upper arms - if you can pull down the vest. 
  • Put the vest behind my neck. Do not lift my head! 
  • Pickup my right hand first to put white tubes under my arm pit. Do the same with my left hand from the window side of bed (if you choose to do all from that side of the bed).  
  • Grab the bottom of both sides of the vest. Not the top for a better grip! 
  • Shimmy both sides down until the bottom of the vest just slightly past my arm pits. 
  • Ask me if it's okay. 
  • Place finger foam with fingers down and vertical (up and down). The peg tube goes in the center hole. 
  • It's better to pull the peg tube completely through the hole. Don't bunch it up in the hole. 
  • Be careful not to move my trach during the entire process because without my brace any movement will cause me to cough. 
  • Push the finger foam down to secure the Velcro tight. 
  • Ask me if it's too tight.

  • Important - point the two white tubes at the bedroom door when it's open. It's okay if the tubes are touching my arm. 
  • Put a white towel between my right arm and the black tubes because it blows cold air on my arm. 
  • TUCK the towel the sides of the vest. 
  • Put both hands back in position. 
  • Turn on vest. 
  • Always check speed. 
  • Always crack the bedroom door before you leave the room. 
  • The machine automatically shuts off after 20 minutes. 
  • When the machine stops, unscrew the two tubes from the vest. Also unscrew two tubes in the machine. 
  • Unvelcro the vest and fold the Velcro on to itself so it doesn't scratch my back. 
  • It's a two step fold: Step 1 
  • Step 2: 
  • Slowly pull out the vest from the right side of bed. You don't have to lift the vest above my shoulders. 
  • Never Velcro the vest against itself as it weakens the Velcro! 
  • Put the finger foam on top of the machine and vest back in the side  
  • Slide the machine back in my closet with wheels facing out. 
  • Adjust my hands back on the towels. 

How to put the vest on in Wheelchair: 

  • Pull the vest machine out of the closet. 
  • Plug in the vest into the white extension cord that Tobii is plugged in to. 
  • Take the finger foam and vest out. 
  • Take off my peg tube and metal clip.  
  • Take wheelchair right elbow rest off by pushing the button and my right lateral off by pushing the button. 
  • Do not take the left elbow or lateral off! 
  • Put the vest behind my neck and pull it down passed my arm pits. 
  • Pick up my my hand up high to put the vest white tubes under my arm pit. 
  • Pull both sides of vest down slightly passed my arm pits. 
  • Ask me if it's okay. 
  • Place finger foam with fingers down and vertical (up and down). 
  • Be careful not to move my trach during the entire time. 
  • Secure the Velcro tight. 
  • Ask me if it's okay. 
  • Put a yellow  towel between my right arm and the black tubes because it blows cold air on my arm. Clip the towel with a burp tube clip. 
  • The machine automatically shuts off after 20 minutes. 
  • When the machine stops, unscrew the two tubes from the vest. Also unscrew two tubes in the machine. 
  • Unvelcro the vest and fold the Velcro on to itself so it doesn't scratch. 
  • Pull the vest up until it's above my neck and pull out. 
  • Never Velcro the vest against itself as it weakens the Velcro! 
  • Put the finger foam on top of the machine and vest back in the side pocket. 
  • Roll vest machine back to my bedroom closet. Wheels facing out. 
  • Plug it back in to the extension cord and put wires neatly away. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read Before 1st Training- Important Trach Information

Read Before 1st Training- How to Transfer and Wheelchair Comfort