OVERNIGHT TRAINING- How to apply the Condom Catheter

DRT 
  1. I recommend that you not use gloves during this procedure. The sticky glue gets stuck to the gloves making it impossible to roll condom on. 
  2. Get a baby wipe from bathroom. Get a tissue. 
  3. Wipe my shaft by pulling up my head of penis. 
  4. Dry shaft with tissue. 
  5. Open the condom package by the middle down the perforation line not at the top. 
  6. Check the condom to make sure it is rolled properly. 
    Here's a picture: 
  7. Bend my left knee into the butterfly position. 
  8. Get a (Allkare) sticky wipe and apply it to me while pulling up, but only to the shaft. Wipe your fingers to get rid of sticky stuff. 
  9. Pull penis and wave with hand on the glue for a few seconds to dry.  
  10. Take the condom out and start rolling it down on me.  And stop when you get past the head. 
  11. The next step is critical if you get it wrong, my condom will definitely come off. If you didn't follow the next step, my condom will fall off either during a transfer or you forgot to take the bag off my wheelchair. 
  12. Pull my penis so you can pull my foreskin down with your other hand.  This will prevent me from losing my condom. 
  13. Continue rolling it down all the way.  Important , be careful not to roll condom into my scrotum. Ouch! 
  14. Squeeze the condom to release any air bubbles.  
  15. Get alcohol wipe and wipe the urine bag tube and the end of the condom. 
The next step will tell you how to attach the condom to the urine bag tube in WC:  
  1. First put urine bag in wheelchair side bag and put excess tube in bag so it doesn't get caught on my van door. 
  2. Tie the double overhead knot to the tube.  Leave about 2-4 inches from the knot to the blue button. 
  3. Get an alcohol wipe. 
  4. Wipe the bag tube opening and the tip of the condom. 
  5. Attach the condom to the tube. 
  6. Make sure there is no twist in the condom. 
  7. The trick is to get the blue tag on the tube so that it’s not sticking me in the leg.  
  8. When you get me into my wheelchair place two tissues between my leg and the blue tag.  
  9. Position condom so it is straight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read Before 1st Training- Important Trach Information

OVERNIGHT TRAINING- Vest

Read Before 1st Training- How to Transfer and Wheelchair Comfort