Read Before 1st Training- How to Transfer and Wheelchair Comfort

DRT  
How to Transfer 

WHEELCHAIR Hints:
  • Wheelchair should have 4” ROHO cushion. Plus a blue or green chux to protect ROHO if I leak.
  • I have weak stomach muscles, so be sure my arms are always on the arm rests to prevent me from falling forward. It is very painful on my PEG tube when I’m leaning forward unsupported.
  • It's very important to turn the front WC wheels before transfer so you can move the WC with ease. 
BED to WHEELCHAIR or SHOWER CHAIR - for my CNA
  • Use the PIVOT DISK for transfer to and from bed.
  • Always transfer me with my shoes or slippers on. With shoe straps behind my ankles. That way I won’t slip off the disk. 
  • If I am shaking help me to put my heels on the disk, that way I am not on the balls of my feet. Push your hands on my knees to make it stop.
  • When you lift me, don’t give me a bear hug, it hurts my PEG tube. Lift me using my rib cage with your arms on my back or under my armpits. NEVER PICK ME UP WITH MY ARMS OR SHOULDERS
  • Pay close attention to where my feet are when you lift me. Make sure my feet are on the disk, and don’t put your foot on the disk as I turn.
  • If my feet start to shake it is because my toes are holding me up. Just hold me and let my heels touch the disk. The shaking will stop. 
SHOWER CHAIR TO WHEELCHAIR- 2 PERSON TRANSFER - for my CNA
  • Put my black box under my feet to give me enough height to get in the wheelchair.
  • Get your assistant to lift my hips until my knees lock in place. 
  • Make sure that my feet are even with each other and separated, otherwise I cannot stand straight.
  • Very slowly lift me using rib cage, not shoulders or arms
  • Stand me up and take 2-3 steps backwards so I can stand up straight.
  • 2nd person removes Shower chair
  • 2nd person pulls up diaper (smooth out both sides of diaper) and pants 
  • 2nd person moves wheelchair into place and holds it firmly in place
  • Make sure that left lateral is locked in place and the right one is open.
  • Place me down in my wheelchair as you  push your knees against mine to get my bottom as far back as possible.
  • Attend to my arms immediately. It’s very painful when they hang over the arm rests.
  • When seated, lean forward to fix shirt.
  • Raise wheelchair up.
  • Put the urine tube under my left leg. Put the urine bag in the special hanging bag.
  • Put my feet in the rests.
WHEELCHAIR COMFORT - for my CNA
  • Check condom for twist and make sure that the blue tab is not stabbing my leg. Put 2 tissues between my leg. 
  • Do a left BUTT LIFT.  (You don’t have to push my knee.) This is really more of a cheek spread than a butt life, but we like to call it a butt lift.
  • Tighten the seat belt firmly. Be sure that my shorts are around my seat belt so it won’t pinch my belly.
  • Put both hands in my lap! 
  • KNEE PUSH-Tilt my wheelchair back (feet down) and put your left or right foot on the left wheelchair tire to keep it from rolling back. Push on my knees very hard and switch knees. Repeat until I am seated back far enough in my chair.  
  • Lower me down and bring my arms back to the right position.
  • TORSO MOVE- Release the right head rest and do the torso adjustment. Move my body forward, then pull me right, and then straight back. Raise up my right arm high. Put my right lateral almost in the locked position. Do the shoulder adjustment by pushing my right shoulder back and pulling my left shoulder forward. That will straighten my shoulders.
  • Make sure that my arms are straight.
SET UP IN LIVING-ROOM
  • Wheel me into my work corner
    or in front of the TV.
  • Align the big wheels of my wheelchair to the blue tape on the floor.
  • Check if both vents are plugged into the power outlets.
  • Do water management and lung suction if I need it. Before lung suction, raise feet all the way up. Don’t attempt to calibrate ERICA before lung suction.
  • Do lung suction next. Always turn my head to the left and right to do lung suction.
  • After lung suction, feel both sides of my chest. Do it to determine if you need to go in deeper. Usually I don’t need it but I want you to get used to the technique.
  • After lung suction, adjust my wheelchair height to 19 and feet to 38-42.  
  • Setup ERICA. Follow the step by step process found in ERICA Setup Instructions
  • Suction my mouth and give me chap-stick.
  • Setup the black bell under my right hand. Ask me if you positioned it correctly. 
  • Allow me to talk with ERICA to confirm my good status.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read Before 1st Training- Important Trach Information

OVERNIGHT TRAINING- Vest

Read Before 1st Training- Personal Attendant (PA) Duties