READ BEFORE 1st Training- Communication

DRT 
My most basic form of communication is with my eyes- open for YES, closed for NO. My best way to communicate is when I am on my eye-gaze computer. But if I am not on my computer, and you need more than yes or no, use the SPELLBOARD.
 The colored side faces you. 
 Important! You only get 3 chances to guess what I need - after that get the spell board. Please don't waste time especially in the middle of the night guessing. 
During your counting with the numbers when I close my eyes it means you are on the wrong side. For example when you say 1 and I close my eyes go to number 5. 

The following are also some communication shortcuts using my lips and/or eyes-

LIP READING
  • Lips open and closed quickly = chapstick 
  • When I chew = that means suction please
  • When I feel pain, I will make an ugly face. 
  • There are a few words that you must learn that I try to do with my mouth. For example, off and up. These require serious lip reading.Unfortunately new people might think it's my suction face. Be aware.
  • When I close my mouth and point my nose up at you, that means wipe my nose with a tissue. Looks like a bunny nose.  
  • In bed when I look up and say up it means raise my head up by pushing the bed head up button. Looking up could also mean hair management. 
  • During the day when I look up and say up it usually means lean me all the way back because my bottom is hurting. After years in my wheelchair my poor bottom hurts during the day.
    EYE MOVEMENTS
    • My eyes are my pointer; follow them to determine what object needs attention. 
    • When I look quickly from center to the left = something to my left needs attention. Same way with right side. 
    • If I look straight up = turn off/on the fan or light. Also when I look at and look side to side that means: I don't know! 
    • If I am struggling with my eyes and can’t keep them open, get a tissue and rub each eye.
    SPELLBOARD SHORTHAND

    Letters
    Meaning
    Bal
    fill my trach balloon with syringe
    Bi
    bib, replace bib but wipe lips and chin with old bib
    Blow
    put the cardboard in front of peep  valve because it’s blowing in my face 
    Bo
    put foot on the box, ask which
    Bu
    burp or butt
    Ck
    check something (I will point with my eyes)
    Co
    cold or condom
    Cr
    cream on hands or my pain  back
    El
    Elbow management
    Fo  
    food or foot
    Foa
    my foot foam in bed needs adjustment 
    For  
    move body part forward (usually my head)
    Ho
    hot
    ip  
    iPod
    Ls 
    Lung suction please 
    Mag
    Magnesium oil to rub on my leg
    Mar
    Marsha Move
    Med
    Medicine
    Mo
    move or more
    P
    if I look at you with worried eyes this means I have to go pee in bed
    Pai
    pain somewhere and ask me if I need pain cream
    Pi
    Take picture or check PICC line
    Rad
    radio  please
    Re
    read or report
    Sc
    shower chair 
    Te

    tent, pull the bed sheet tight over the rails so legs don’t get trapped
    To  
    toes or towel
    Wet
    somewhere I am wet
    Wc  
    Wheelchair



    All this information is also printed in the 

    Don Taylor Users Manual 

    at the Caregivers Desk in HobbitHouse.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Read Before 1st Training- Important Trach Information

    OVERNIGHT TRAINING- Vest

    Read Before 1st Training- Personal Attendant (PA) Duties