Read Before 1st Training- To all my Suck-a-Teers

DRT 
How to Do Mouth Suction

The Routine

Start on either side. Go deep into my cheeks outside my teeth. Do both sides.

When I open my mouth go for the roof of my mouth. Never put the wand on my front teeth, go in from either side. I have a chip in my front tooth from the wand. Don’t put it in past the bite marks on the wand. Hold the wand vertical. If you angle the wand it doesn't suck effectively.

Here's a picture of wand placement during roof: 

I’m having trouble when you first put the wand in my mouth because of my mouth muscles are getting weaker, especially during the end of the day. Sometimes I almost have to teach my mouth muscles how to form a vacuum around the wand. That takes a few seconds. So just put the wand in my mouth towards the roof. Hold it lightly and don’t move it around in my mouth.  I must form a vacuum between my lips and the back of my mouth.

When I open my mouth again, go under my tongue, don’t dig deep. That hurts. Just go in a little bit.

A picture of the tip  the wand: 

After you do under my tongue, go completely around my cheeks just like a dentist would do.

Warning:  If you hear sounds like a song bird being tortured or a fluttering ducks, that means that the wand is stuck on my tongue. Just push my chin down so the horrible sound stops. If I look at you that means something is wrong and I want to re-position the wand.

When you are done confirm with me before rinsing the wand until you get better.

In order to become a member of the Suck-a-Teers Club, you have to do suction properly for exactly three times. Good luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read Before 1st Training- Important Trach Information

OVERNIGHT TRAINING- Vest

Read Before 1st Training- Personal Attendant (PA) Duties