Welcome to the Taylor Trailblazers Team!

DRT 
You are joining an amazing team of fun, caring individuals that provide around the clock care for Don Taylor. He is a cool, creative man who has ALS. Because of this disease Don is a quadriplegic on a ventilator, and uses an eye-gaze computer to communicate. He requires someone to monitor and assist him at all times, and a team of two to get him in and out of bed everyday. Don manages his own care in his home, with the help of his sister Kate, and of course all of his awesome caregivers. Because Don's treats everyday as an adventure, he enjoys having lively, equally adventurous people surrounding him. So we think you will really enjoy being a part of this team.

First we will have to get all the boring paperwork completed, then you will read through the Orientation materials before starting your first day of Training. You can expect at least 3 Hands-on Training shifts before you (and Don) decide you are ready to work alone with him. Even our licensed Certified Nursing Assistants complete this training before beginning training for the CNA visits that get Don in and out of bed, take care of personal and intimate care, toileting, and showering.

Before starting this New Team Member Orientation you should have completed and sent the following paperwork via email to Don's sister Kate at SunHavenKate@gmail.com-
  • Your Resume
  • Your Reference Sheet
  • A copy of your Drivers License
  • Another form of legal ID such as a copy of your 
    • Social Security Card, 
    • Passport ID page,
    • or Birth Certificate.
    • An email stating 
      • your best local mailing address, 
      • best phone number, 
      • best email address, 
      • birthdate and 
      • emergency contact information.
    • A copy of your Colorado CNA license (if applicable)
      You should have received an email from Kate with the following paperwork attached-
      1. Employment Contract between you and Don
      2. IRS Form W4
      3. US Citizenship Form I9
      4. Direct Deposit form
      5. Sexual Harassment form
      Please print, read, complete, and sign each of these forms

        BRING TO YOUR FIRST TRAINING
        • A SIGNED COPY of each of the 5 forms above.
        • A VOIDED CHECK from your checking account to complete your set up for direct deposit of paychecks.

        Now for the good stuff-

        Introduction to my New Caregivers by Don Taylor

        First let me tell you about my disease. Fortunately ALS does not give me pain. However, I feel pain just like you do if I get injured. My muscles twitch all day and night because they want movement and as my ALS continues, I am unable to move them and slowly I have become paralyzed. It’s a brain/neuron disease. This is my 9th year with ALS and everyone who has this disease reacts differently. In my case it began when my right arm was not responding when I wanted to do something like throw a ball. Then my left arm, my legs, my ability to swallow and speak, etc. It does not seem to effect some muscle movements like the blinking of my eyes, or my ability to digest food. When it effected my ability to breathe, I choose to get a tracheotomy and ventilator to help me breathe out.

        Ironically my Dad was totally paralyzed in 1995 from a brain stem stroke. He slowly taught himself to swallow again and move his muscles through intense physical therapy. I find it strange that while my dad strived to get better everyday, in the case of ALS the opposite is true. I must prevent muscle fatigue as that speeds up my paralysis. For me, I just strive to make each day a good one. At this point, in my paralysis progression, I get tired easily. 

        I use my eyes to communicate. When I look at you directly that means, “yes.” When I close my eyes it means “No.” If I look up and move my eyes from side to side that means three things depending on the situation.” “I don’t know.” “You are loony.” or “Whatever!” 

        It is best of you don’t ask me two questions at once. Stay away from open ended questions like “How are you feeling?” unless I am on ERICA (my eye-gaze computer).

        SPELL BOARD
        I have a rule that if you don’t understand me after trying twice, get the ABC board so I can spell the word. When you get the board, the colored side is your side. Hold the board right in front of me. I will use my eyes to indicate which side of the board I want to start on. Count the numbers first - slowly. I will tell you with my eyes where to stop.  Then recite the letters corresponding to that number. I can use my mouth to say the letter “O” to save time. Look for it.

        COUGHING
        Another thing about ALS, the disease causes excessive saliva and also very weak swallowing strength. So managing saliva is critical for me. If mucus or saliva gets down in my lungs it is very hard for me to cough it out. Pneumonia is a very real danger for me. I take medications to reduce saliva, but I manage saliva mostly by spitting it out (or asking you to use the suction machine to remove it). So the bib to protect my neck brace is important.

        SHAKING
        The spasming in my arms and legs is my muscles exaggerated reflexes caused by the ALS. When I’m sitting, if my feet start shaking,  try pushing on my knee to make it stop. Another technique is to pick up my heels and slowly put my feet on the foot rest. Remember don’t lift my foot by the ball of my foot.

        MY BODY
        The muscles of the body require movement and when the brain stops sending signals my muscles twitch. My muscles have been twitching 24/7 since 2005! In a way this is good because when the twitching stops paralysis sets in. The point is this. . . My condition changes and solutions that worked last month may not work today.

        My neck
        • This is the most fragile part of me. Always move me with my neck brace on.
        • Be careful not to jerk my neck.
        • Treat my head as if it was a carton of eggs.
        My PEG tube
        • My feeding tube is especially painful when jerked around or tugged. Especially after “burning,” which is the procedure my CNAs use to remove painful tissue around the site.
        • Next to my neck, this tube gives me the most pain.
        My fingers and elbows
        • Pay attention to how my fingers rest at all times. Don’t let them curl under. This is painful.
        • After my neck and PEG tube area, my elbows give me pain. Because I am so skinny, I need pillows or sheepskin under them.
        My nose
        • I don’t have enough strength to blow my nose well. So my CNAs use a baby’s sucky machine to clean out my nose. During the day you can just wipe my nose with a tissue, or clean it with a q-tip.
        • If I need it, rub my nose with your palm in a circular motion. 
        My hair
        • If my hair gets too long, it hurts at night because I can not move my head and my hair gets knotted on my pillow. Smoothing it down in the back helps.
        • Long hair tickles my ears. It drives me crazy to have an itch that I can’t scratch.
        Itching
        • If I ask you to ITCH me, don’t use your finger. Get a dry washcloth or Kleenex and rub my entire face. You will most likely get the itch then.
        • Same with my ears. They are a bug magnet. Just because you don’t see a bug, does not mean it is not there. So rub them with a dry cloth.

          Other important details

          CAREGIVER PARKING

          • Because the garbage trucks are having trouble negotiating the corner in front of Hobbit House (that’s the name of my townhouse), the HOA has asked that we park on this side of the street only, but not right on the corner. They ask that you try to park west of the corner or from our driveway west,
            • You can also park in front of our driveway, but not in the driveway. Don uses this space to get in and out of my van.
            • The best, and easiest place to park is along either side of Hill Pond Road behind the townhome. This is free and open parking and my back door is always open when Don is home during the day.
            ON ARRIVAL

            • Do not bother to ring the bell or knock on arrival for your shift. Just come in the front or back door, and say "Hi."
            • Arrive before your scheduled shift. 
              • However, if you arrive early, remember Don and family may not be quite ready for you. So get ready for the visit, but allow the family to finish their TV show or friend’s visit in peace. Don’t expect him and family to drop everything because you have arrived early.
            • Arrive ALERT and ready to work. 
              • If you are on your cell phone when you arrive, complete your call before coming in. (Arriving while chatting is not arriving ready to work.) 
              • For safety- You MUST have your cell phone with you at all times during your shift. But please try to keep any incoming calls to a minimum. If you must take an important call, take it outside, into the garage, or into another room so it is not part of your visit with Don- especially if it is an “intense” conversation.
            • Do not smoke just before arriving, so you don’t bring the smell in with you.
            • Wear clean, professional attire-
              • Clean slacks and a modest shirt like a T-shirt are required.
              • Clean scrubs are an easy way to have this professional attire.
              • No ripped, dragging jeans or torn clothing. 
              • Clean work shoes or sneakers, or it is okay to remove your shoes at the door and work barefooted. 

            FINALLY! The REALLY good stuff- See you at your first Training Shift!
            Remember to bring your VOIDED check, and the five emailed forms.

            Please READ the Archived Articles at right labeled READ Before 1st Training
            Don't worry, you will NOT be tested on all this information. 
            They are background information for your reference.
             AND they are all printed and available at Don's home in the 
            Don Taylor Users Manual at the Caregivers' Desk.

            Comments

            Popular posts from this blog

            Read Before 1st Training- Important Trach Information

            OVERNIGHT TRAINING- Vest

            Read Before 1st Training- Personal Attendant (PA) Duties